Every now and then I find myself sorting through my old blog posts on Dizzy Chicken. I laugh at the little things I'd forgotten over the years, sympathize with my less experienced self, and marvel at how young my children used to be.
I didn't begin blogging until June of 2007, which means I have no memories recorded of my children before that time. I didn't take time to write precious memories during those days. I didn't take a million pictures. I think back then every day felt the same as the last and I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. It felt like life would always be like that and that there would always be time. I didn't realize (though I'd been told a thousand times) just how fast my children would grow, and just how quickly I would forget.
But now I see. Now I look back and wonder where the time went. Now I realize that while I spent my days changing diapers and making bottles, time really was passing. My children were growing. My life was being lived without me even realizing it. And so many years have come and gone since I first became a mother. And how quickly I have forgotten what my babies looked like with bald heads, chubby cheeks, and toothless grins.
It's such a shame that I didn't take the time to write down all the fun and silly things Calin said and did when he was younger. I'm sad that I didn't record my own feelings as I stumbled my way through life as a new mother. In my head I remember the feelings I felt, but since I'm not feeling them now, it would be difficult to put them into words. How I wish I had done it back then!
But I can't change the past. I can only hope that my 30 year old self remembers enough of my 20 year old self that I can still record some of her memories. That is what I hope to achieve with this blog. I hope that as I sort through and post old pictures, that things might come back to me and that I'll get a second chance to write them down. I imagine that for the most part though, this blog will be a digital photo album with very little commentary. And I've decided that's okay; it's better than nothing.
This is going to be a big project, trying to record all these forgotten years. It will require a lot of scanning of old pictures (I didn't get my digital camera until the end of 2005!) but I hope in the end it is worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment